A super easy meatless meal that packs a lot of punch in flavour is this Jalapeño and Zucchini Frittata. As you know, I live with The Vegetarian and finding something that he enjoys can be rather tedious at times. He doesn’t love eggy dishes but he did love this one because there’s the kick of fresh jalapeño. While I’m a bit of a chilli wimp, I love the taste of jalapeño. However, apart from jalapeño poppers and putting them into a salsa, I get lost with other options for them. We tried this out at home and it was delicious. Perhaps too spicy for the kids, but I could eat it for dinner, lunch and breakfast (which I did, of course). I had the frittata with my favourite cabbage and seed salad and together they were a fantastic combination.
Note: I don’t think that jarred or picked jalapeños would work for this recipe.
Thank you, Avo & Co for providing great recipes as inspiration in your fruit and vegetable boxes each week. Looking forward to trying more!
The brothers have generously offered a discount for our readers. For $10 off, use promocode VANILLABEIGE at avoandco.com/shop. Find out more about Cedric and Clement from Avo & Co.
Jalapeño and Zucchini Frittata
I made it “naughty” by adding some cheddar cheese on the top.
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for frying
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thinly with seeds removed
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thinly or in small, thin strips
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen will do
- 6 eggs
- A pinch of ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Over medium heat, heat your EVOO then add onion and jalapeño.
- Cook until the onion and jalapeño are tender.
- Add zucchini slices, corn, coriander and cook til all the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While your vegetables are cooking, whisk your eggs in a separate bowl.
- Pour this over your just cooked vegetables and mix gently but quickly.
- Turn out into a baking dish.
- Cover the top with cheddar cheese if you desire.
- Bake in the oven 15min or until the frittata is cooked.
It’s a great meat free option that can be served hot, cold and for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
We were not paid to publish this recipe and are subscribers to the Avo & Co petit box.